Norfolk: Voting Registers - Poll 1802
A copy of the poll for the knights of the shire for the county of Norfolk, taken at Norwich, 12th to 20th July, 1802 [printed by Stevenson and Matchett].
The Poll Book contains the following information :-
|SIR JACOB HENRY ASTLEY, Bart.||}|
|of Melton Constable.||}||3612|
|THOMAS WILLIAM COKE, Esq.||}|
|The Hon. JOHN WODEHOUSE,||}|
|of Witton Park.||}||3517|
PRINTED AND SOLD BY STEVENSON AND MATCHETT;
Sold also by W. T. ROBBERDS, Norwich; and all other Booksellers;
Also by the Distributors of the Norfolk Chronicle
[End of Page]
List of the Hundreds and Boroughs, as disposed in the
Fifteen Booths for taking the Poll.
The Hundreds, and Towns in each Hundred, are set in alphabetical Order; and so are all the F R E E H O L D E R S N A M E S.
Each Page consists of six Columns. The first contains the Names of the resident F R E E H O L D E R S in each Town; the second, the Places where the FREEHOLDS lie; the third, the Names of the OCCUPIERS, the other three Columns have the initial Letters of the CANDIDATES Names set at Top, and the black Lines drawn under them shew how every FREEHOLDER voted.
At the end of the Poll, is a GENERAL VIEW of it; and also an INDEX to the TOWNS in NORFOLK.
The book contains the following (where "T" indicates trades also given):-
Hundreds and Boroughs
Counties (including City of Norwich)
ie. Those with a large number of voters.
[which contains the following :-]
|Other Counties||Other Counties|
Alphabetical List of Hundreds and votes cast for each CANDIDATE.
(A General VIEW OF THE POLL)
or Alphabetical LIST of the TOWNS in the COUNTY
of NORFOLK, shewing the differents Hundreds in which
they lie, and the Page in which each Town is to be found.
The Market Towns are printed in Capitals.
N.B. No resident Freeholder, from any town against which no Number is set, gave his vote at this Election.
[The list of Towns has not been transcribed]
[End of Poll Book]
- 1. Some variation will be found in the names of the places in the book.
- 2. Docking Hundred parishes are included under Smithdon.
- 3. "Norwich City and County of the City" freeholders are not in the book as it was a County election. Only those whose freeholds were outside the City boundary (of the time) and who chose to vote are in the Norwich section. The occupations of voters in the city are also given.
- 4. Sir Jacob Astley, Bart. and Thomas Coke were elected.
- 5. Hoxton is now in the "London Borough of Hackney" but was in Shoreditch Parish at this time.
- 6. There were more than 3,815 voters at this election.
- 7. Occupations of all voters are available in the other poll book for this year produced by R. Bacon but he excluded occupiers.
Searching this Poll Book
Use the Genuki-NFK "Contents & Search" button linked from the top of the page and then use "Search GENUKI Norfolk" box and type in the following three words (separated by spaces):-
Poll 1802 "Surname-required"
eg. poll 1802 grimwood
Examples of Norfolk Poll Book entries (for Dunston) show what information is available for a typical small village.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.