William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
WALCOTT or Wolcot, on the coast 1½ mile W. of Happisburgh, and 5½ miles E. by N. of North Walsham, has in its parish 172 souls, and 685A. of land. S. Bignold, Esq., is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to several other proprietors.
The Church (All Saints,) is a curacy, certified at £26, and valued in 1831 at £43. It was augmented in 1800 and 1817 with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and has been held by the Rev. John Hewitt, B.D. since 1784. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and also appropriator of the tithes, which are leased to Mr. A. Siely, and have been commuted for £321 per annum, exclusive of the yearly payment of £24.10s to the rector of Ridlington and £2.10s to the impropriator and vicar of Happisburgh.
The poor have 40s a year from Mr. Atkinson, as compensation for a piece of waste land, enclosed about 30 years ago.
Atkinson Roberts (gent.,) High Constable Banyer Robinson gent. Harbord Robert shopr. and smith Plummer Wm. wheelwright Siely Andrew gent. Warner John vict., Light House Farmers. Bush John Lyall Robert (Hall) Marler Robert Riches Thomas Sendall Wm. (and maltster) Siely James Cubitt
J. Palmer, carrier to Norwich, Friday.
See also the Walcott parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.