Walpole St Peter
"WALPOLE (ST-PETER), a parish in the Marshland division of the hundred of FREEBRIDGE, county of NORFOLK, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Lynn-Regis, containing 1102 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £21, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, which was built in the reign of Henry VI., is esteemed one of the most beautiful parochial structures in England; it has thirteen clerestory windows on each side, exhibiting fine specimens of stained glass. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists." [Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright © Mel Lockie]
Walpole St Peter is about 5 miles N.E. of Wisbech.
Walpole St Andrew and Walpole St Peter are known as The Walpoles.
See also Walpole St Andrew.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Walpole St Peter to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Walpole St Peter has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Walpole, Reginald Charles
- The Walpole Villages and their People.
[ISBN 0721205615, London, Regency Press, 1979]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Walpole Inclosure Act, 1789.
An act for embanking the common salt marsh within the township of Walpole, in the county of Norfolk: and for dividing and inclosing the same, and several other commons within the said township.
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of claims: Marshland Smeeth and Marshland Fen: second list of claims.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1796.
Emneth 10 claims; Walsoken 8 claims; West Walton 4 claims; Walpole Saint Peter 6 claims; Terrington Saint Clement 2 claims; Terrington Saint John 2 claims; Tilney All Saints 1 claim; Tilney Saint Lawrence 1 claim; Clenchwarton 1 claim.
- Marshland Enclosure Act, 1796.
- An act for draining and improving, and for inclosing, dividing, and allotting, certain tracts of common and waste lands, called Marshland Smeeth and Marshland Fen, lying within the country of Marshland, in the county of Norfolk; and for stinting and regulating the stocking, feeding, and depasturing, of the said Smeeth and Fen, until the inclosure, division, and allotment thereof.
(This covers the parishes of Clenchwarton, Emneth, Terrington St Clement, Terrington St John, Tilney All Saints, Tilney St Lawrence, Tilney with Islington, Walpole St Andrew, Walpole St Peter, Walsoken and West Walton).
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1796]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Walpole Inclosure Act, 1832.
An act for dividing, allotting, and inclosing certain open common salt marshes in the township of Walpole in the county of Norfolk: 1st August 1832.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Spottiswoode, 1832]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF507169 (Lat/Lon: 52.728548, 0.230968), Walpole St Peter which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Roll of Honour
- World Wars 1 and 2.