Norfolk: East Walton
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WALTON, (EAST) a small but scattered village, 9 miles E.S.E. of Lynn, has within its parish 196 inhabitants, and 2,700 acres, of which a warren of about 450A., was enclosed in 1841; and about the same quantity of open heath is about to be enclosed, though most of the parish has a light sandy soil, much blown about by the wind in dry weather.
Anthony Hamond, Esq., owns the whole, except about 60A., and is lord of the manor, and patron of the CHURCH, which is dedicated to St. Mary, and is a vicarage valued in the King's Book at £6 3s. 4d., and enjoyed by the Rev. George Coldham, M.A., of Glemsford, Suffolk. In 1841, the vicarial tithes were commuted for £178, and the rectorial tithes for £230 per annum. The latter belong to the Bishop of Norwich. The church is an ancient fabric, with a round tower; and in the garden of a farm-house is the ivy mantled tower of St. Andrew's Chapel, which was appropriated, with the church, to Westacre priory.
The Poor's Land, 6A., is intermixed with the lands of A. Hamond, Esq., who provides, in lieu of rent, 3s. worth of bread every alternate Sunday. On St. Thomas's day, £20 is distributed among the poor, as one moiety of Callibutt's Charity. (See Hillington.)
Ashley Robt. smith & wheelwright Denton Rev. Charles Jones, M.A. curate Gross M. gamekeeper Lowe Mrs. schoolmistress Sanctuary John parish clerk Youngman Jesse vict., Greyhound FARMERS. Adcock William Jude John Pridgeon Thomas Wellingham Edw.
See also the East Walton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.