Norfolk: Warham All Saints and Warham St Mary


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

WARHAM ALL SAINTS and ST. MARY, 4 miles N. of Walsingham, and 2½ miles E.S.E. of Wells, form a large scattered village; and their parishes are united for the support of the poor and roads, but are separate in ecclesiastical affairs. They contain together 412 souls, and about 3,200 acres of land, including a tract of salt marshes, extending northward to the ocean.

The Earl of Leicester owns all St. Mary's, and the greater part of All Saints; and is lord of the manors of Warham-Ducies and Warham-Hales, in which the copyholds are subject to a fine of 2s. per acre. The late Earl purchased these manors of the late Sir M.B. Ffolkes, and pulled down the old hall, upon the site of which he erected a farm-house.

All Saints parish has 337 souls, and 1,172 acres; and St. Mary's, 75 souls, and 2,035 acres. In the vale of the Stiffkey rivulet, is a perfect specimen of a Danish camp, having a triple fosse, inclosing a circular area of about nine acres.

All Saints CHURCH is a small fabric, with an octagonal turret, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £16, in the gift of the Crown; and has been enjoyed since 1792, by the Rev. Wm. Atkinson, of Thorpe-Arch, Yorkshire, for whom the Rev. D. Carver, of Wells, officiates. The glebe is 8½A., and the tithes have been commuted for £247 per annum.

St. Mary's CHURCH is a handsome edifice, with a tower, and several stained glass windows. Here were formerly two churches, (St. Mary Magdalen, and St. Mary the Virgin,) and their rectories, valued in the King's Book at £11 6s. 8d., are consolidated with that of Waterden, in the patronage of the Earl of Leicester, and incumbency of the Rev. Robt. Collyer, A.M. The joint rectories were valued in 1831 at £500. The glebe here is 15A., and the tithes of Warham St. Mary have been commuted for £373 10s. per annum.

The Poor's Cottage, in All Saints, is occupied rent-free, and repaired by the parish.


         Buck       James, jun.       gent.
         Burnham    Wm.               schoolmaster
         Claxton    Jas.              gamekeeper
         Collyer    Rev. Robt., A.M.  rector of St. Mary's
         Hall       Mary              vict., Three Horse Shoes
         Ives       Wm.               shoemaker
         Knights    Edw.              vict., Three Tuns
         Warner     Wm.               grocer & draper
         Whisson    Chas.             blacksmith
         Whitaker   Richd.            wheelwright
         Wordingham Robt.             cattle dealer
         Bloomfield John
         Hudson     Peter
         Moore      Thos. Sewell

See also the Warham All Saints and Warham St Mary parish pages.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 2002