Norfolk: Warham All Saints and Warham St Mary
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WARHAM ALL SAINTS and ST. MARY MAGDALEN are two adjoining parishes, 4 miles N. of Walsingham, including a tract of salt marshes, extending northward to the ocean. They are in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, North Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, Wells polling district of North Norfolk, Walsingham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. They had 311 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1774 acres, and have a rateable value of £1227.
The Earl of Leicester owns all St. Mary's and the greater part of All Saints, and is lord of the manors of Warham-Ducies and Warham-Hales, in which the copyholders are subject to a fine of 2s. per acre. The late Earl purchased these manors of the trustees of the late Sir J. Turner, and pulled down the old hall, near the site of which he erected a farm house. Mr. T.S. Moore, of the Chalk Farm, owns part of All Saints' parish, which contains 243 inhabitants, and 1174 acres, whilst St. Mary's has only 67 inhabitants, but 2045 acres of land.
In the vale of the Stiffkey rivulet is a perfect specimen of a Danish camp, having a triple fosse, and covering a circular area of about 9 acres.
All Saints' CHURCH is an ancient structure, and was originally the finer as it is still the larger of the two, though it has been greatly dilapidated. It now comprises nave, transepts, chancel, and bell gable with one bell. It formerly had aisles, and seems to have been originally in the Decorated style, but the present windows are Perpendicular. In 1877 the church was thoroughly restored by the present rector at an outlay of £1500. The chancel stalls and roof are of unvarnished oak, as are the pulpit and reading-desk. The nave and transepts are seated with pitch pine. The rectory, now consolidated with St. Mary's, was valued in the King's Book at £16.
St. Mary's CHURCH comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with one bell. On the north side of the chancel is a chapel containing the vault of the Turner family. The chancel windows and one of those in the nave are enriched with beautiful stained glass; but the nave is filled with high pews, and its roof is hidden by a low ceiling. The piscina still remains; and the old transitional Norman font has been restored, and is now in All Saints' Church.
Here was formerly another church (St. Mary the Virgin), and its rectory has long been consolidated with that of St. Mary Magdalen. The joint livings were valued in the King's Book at £11 6s. 8d., and since 1848 have had the rectory of All Saints' annexed to them. The Earl of Leicester is patron, and the Rev. Charles T. Digby is the incumbent, and has a good residence, 23½ acres of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £520.
The School, which is in All Saints' parish, was built in 1869 by the late rector, the Rev. R. Collyer, and is attended by 60 children.
WALL LETTER-BOX cleared at 4.30, viâ Wells, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Marked thus * are in All Saints' parish.
Billing Thomas Robert farmer Blomfield John farmer, Northgate hall * Cozens John farmer Digby Rev. Charles Tilton, M.A. rector, Rectory * Davy John Mayes grocer Fishburn Joseph gamekeeper * Glover Miss A.C. schoolmistress * Moore Thomas Wm. farmer, Chalk farm Nelson Edward farmer * Ringwood Richd. baker & shopkpr * Ringwood Robert victualler, Three Horseshoes Savory Thos. Wm. farmer, The Grove Tuck Isaac blacksmith * Whittaker Wm. joiner & wheelwght
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.