Warham St Mary
"WARHAM ALL SAINTS and ST. MARY, 4 miles N. of Walsingham, and 2ｽ miles E.S.E. of Wells, form a large scattered village; and their parishes are united for the support of the poor and roads, but are separate in ecclesiastical affairs. They contain together 412 souls, and about 3,200 acres of land, including a tract of salt marshes, extending northward to the ocean. The Earl of Leicester owns all St. Mary's, and the greater part of All Saints; and is lord of the manors of Warham-Ducies and Warham-Hales, . . .The late Earl purchased these manors of the late Sir M.B. Ffolkes, ... All Saints parish has 337 souls, and 1,172 acres; and St. Mary's, 75 souls, and 2,035 acres. . . . All Saints CHURCH is a small fabric, . . . and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £16, in the gift of the Crown; and has been enjoyed since 1792, by the Rev. Wm. Atkinson, of Thorpe-Arch, Yorkshire, for whom the Rev. D. Carver, of Wells, officiates. The glebe is 8½A., and the tithes have been commuted for £247 per annum. St. Mary's CHURCH is a handsome edifice, . . . Here were formerly two churches, (St. Mary Magdalen, and St. Mary the Virgin,) and their rectories, valued in the King's Book at £11 6s. 8d., are consolidated with that of Waterden, in the patronage of the Earl of Leicester, and incumbency of the Rev. Robt. Collyer, A.M. The joint rectories were valued in 1831 at £500. The glebe here is 15A., and the tithes of Warham St. Mary have been commuted for £373 10s. per annum." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Together, Warham All Saints and Warham St Mary are often known as Warham.
See also Warham All Saints.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Walsingham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary Magdalen.
There was also a church dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warham St Mary to another place.
Warham St Mary is in North Greenhoe Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for North Greenhoe Hundred
- Description of North Greenhoe Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Warham St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF943416 (Lat/Lon: 52.937052, 0.889377), Warham St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1801, 1811, 1821 and 1831 Censuses
- The figures for Warham St Mary are included with those for Warham All Saints.
- 1841 and 1851 Censuses
- "The Parishes of Warham St. Mary and All Saints are ecclesiastically united."