William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
WAXHAM, on the sea coast, 5½ miles E. of Stalham, and 14 miles N. by W. of Yarmouth, has in its parish, 76 souls, and 1911 acres of land, including Little Waxham, which has only 14 souls, and 206 acres of land, though it was anciently a large parish, but its village and church (St. Margaret,) were engulphed in the ocean several centuries ago. H.J. Conyers, Esq., is sole owner and lord of the manor of Waxham, and Lord Braybrooke is the owner of the manor of Little Waxham.
The Church (St. John,) is a rectory valued in the King's Book at £6.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £330, with the vicarage at Palling annexed to it. H.J. Conyers, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Henry Ready, M.A. incumbent. The tithes of Waxham have been commuted for £343.6s. per annum, but Little Waxham is tithe-free.
The FARMERS are Wm. Cator (Hall), Robt. Cubitt, John Shipley, John Tuck, and Henry Whitaker.
See also the Waxham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.