William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
WAXHAM, on the sea-coast, 5½ miles E. of Stalham, and 14 miles N. by W. of Yarmouth, is a parish in Smallburgh union, Happing hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Stalham polling district of North Norfolk, Happing division of Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 147 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1911 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £2294. The parish includes Little Waxham, which has only 206 acres of land, though it was anciently a large parish, but its village and church (St. Margaret) were engulphed in the ocean several centuries ago. R.J. Johnson, Esq., of Tunstead, is lord of the manor and owner of the soil.
Waxham Hall, occupied by George Randall Johnson, Esq., was built in 1114, and stood, at the time of its erection, 14 miles from the sea. There are many remains of the fine arches, columns, and windows, giving tokens of its former magnificence. It has a rectangular court on its northern side, enclosed by a lofty stone wall, having crocketed pinnacles at the angles and a large gateway in the centre. It contains a fine collection of fossils, amongst which is a very large thigh bone of a mammoth found with other Mammalian remains of various species along the coast. Near the hall is an immense barn 180 feet long by 27 feet wide.
The CHURCH (St. John) is a plain thatched building consisting of nave, south porch and tower. There is no bell, and the chancel is in ruins. In the nave is an altar tomb enriched with shields charged with armorial bearings, and having a canopy supported by two fluted columns. R.J. Johnson, Esq., is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £6.13s.4d., and now at £343, with the vicarage of Palling annexed to it. The Rev. Henry Ready, M.A., of Hickling, is the incumbent.
The tithes of Waxham have been commuted for £343.6s. per annum, but Little Waxham is tithe free. Waxham has a School Board united with Palling, which see.
POST from Norwich via Stalham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Bishop Robert millman Bush Thomas farmer and owner; h Edingthorpe Butcher William(exors.) farmers and owners, Bridge farm French William farmer, overseer and rate collector, Woolston farm Gedge Jno. frmr. & owner, Walnut frm Harvey Henry frmr. & owner, Poplar farm Johnson George Randall landowner, overseer, guardian of the poor, joint acting comsnr. of Sea Breaching, captain of Life-saving apparatus, and vice-chairman of Life Boat Committee, &c., Waxham hall Knights John millman Postle John farm steward Postle Robert wheelwright Ready Rev.Henry,B.A. rector; h Hickling Robinson William head groom Thurtle William land steward
See also the Waxham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.