Norfolk: Welborne


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

WELBORNE parish, 11 miles W. of Norwich, and 6 miles E.S.E. of East Dereham, has 234 souls, and 736A. of land, belonging to O.S. Onley, Esq., and a few smaller owners, but James Cudden, Esq., is lord of the manor.

The Church (All Saints,) has a round tower, and was thoroughly repaired about two years ago. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 18s. 4d., and consolidated with Yaxham, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Barham Johnson. The glebe here is 43A. 25P., and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £225 per annum, but the value of the joint rectories is £722 per annum.

At the enclosure in 1811, 3¼A. of land was allotted to the poor.

DIRECTORY (marked * are owners:)

         * Colls    John     vict., Horse Shoe
           Howe     Henry    blacksmith
           Porrett  Jas.     wheelwright
           Small    Fras.    shopr. and bricklayer
           Webb     Edward   cattle dealer
           Edwards  John
         * Green    Mary
         * Palmer   John
         * Porrett  Jas.
         * Sands    Nicholas
           Sendall  Fisher

See also the Welborne parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2004