William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WELBORNE parish is in the southern division of the county, 11 miles W. of Norwich, 6 miles E.S.E. of East Dereham, and 3½ miles N.E. from Hardingham Station. It is in Forehoe union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Forehoe hundred and petty sessional division, Dereham polling district of South Norfolk, Forehoe division of Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 190 inhabitants in 1881, living on 731 acres, and has a rateable value of £1637. The parish belongs to Mr. J. Dring, Mr. J.G. Neave, Messrs. Green, &c.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a picturesque ivy-covered building, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower. The latter has a conical roof, and contains one bell. The windows of the chancel are Early English, and of the nave Decorated with square heads. The chancel, built within the foundations of the Early English one, and out of its ruins, in 1671, was replaced by another of Early English style, in 1874-6, by the present rector. The chancel screen remains. In 1852 the interior of the nave was re-fitted with open seats and pulpit, and an organ was given by the rector. The organ now stands in a chamber on the north side of the new chancel. An oak lych-gate was erected in 1880. The Registers date from 1695. Here is a marble tablet of the Tinkler family.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 18s. 4d., in the patronage of the Rev. John Barham Johnson, M.A., and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Barham Johnson, M.A. The glebe here is 42 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £240 per annum. The rectory-house is a pretty brick Tudor building, erected in 1847 by the present rector, and situated in pleasant grounds.
The parish school is in the same style, and was also erected in 1847. It is supported by a voluntary rate, and attended by 40 children.
At the enclosure in 1811, 3¼ acres of land were allotted to 'the poor inhabitants of the parish legally settled therein,' and are now let for £8 15s. a year.
LETTERS viâ East Dereham. Pillar Letter Box at Mr. W.K. Green's, cleared at 4.30 p.m.; Sundays at 10:30 a.m. Mattishall is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Barnard Frederick farm bailiff to John Dring, Esq. Brandon Parva Carter Miss Caroline Natl. schlmstrs Claxton W. farmer Dann Stephen farmer Doy John blacksmith Dring John farmer; h Brandon Parva Green Richard farmer Green Thomas farmer Green Thomas Lindsey farmer and landowner, Valley farm Green William Kerridge farmer Hilling Mrs Elizabeth shopkeeper Howard John farmer Johnson Rev. Henry Barham rector Johnson Rev. John Barham, M.A. Leeds George Hy. vict. Horse Shoes Milk George farmer Norton Leonard wheelwright Porrett Richard farmer & landowner, Church farm
See also the Welborne parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.