"WENDLING, on the Swaffham road, 4 miles W. by S. of East Dereham, is a parish of dispersed houses, with 330 inhabitants, and 1331 acres of land. John Margarson, Esq., is lord of the manor, but J. Mason, Esq., and others have estates here. Wendling Abbey, which stood near a small rivulet, was founded about the 52d of Henry III., by Sir Wm, de Wendling, for canons of the Præmonstratensian order, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was suppressed by a bull of Pope Clement, before the general dissolution, and in 1528, granted to Cardinal Wolsey; its revenues being then valued at ￡55. 18s. 4d. per annum. The last remains of the ruins and foundations were used some years ago in repairing the roads. The present CHURCH has a square tower with three bells, and is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, augmented with ￡600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and valued in 1831 at ￡52. It is in the gift of the Earl of Leicester, and is enjoyed, with that of Longham, by the Rev. Robt. Howlett." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Olley, Stephen
- The Book of Wendling, Longham and Beeston with Bittering.
[ISBN 1841144177, Halsgrove, 2005]
- Wendling County Primary School
- Centenary, 1876-1976: Notes on the Village.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wendling to another place.
Wendling is in Launditch Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Launditch Hundred
- Description of Launditch Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Wendling has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Wendling Inclosure Act, 1814.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Wendling, in the county of Norfolk.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF930130 (Lat/Lon: 52.68031, 0.853609), Wendling which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1901 Census
- "Including part of Hulver Street."