William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
WESTFIELD, a hamlet and small parish, 2 miles S. of East Dereham, has only 138 inhabitants, and 570 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir W.R. Clayton, the lord of the manor, in which the fines are arbitrary.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 4s. 2d., and now enjoyed, with that of Whinburgh, by the Rev. Wm. Grigson, M.A., who purchased the patronage of both livings of Sir W.R. Clayton, Bart., and has here 20A. of glebe. The tithes of Westfield were commuted in 1840, for £150 per annum.
Messrs. W.P. Salter, John Smith, and James Vincent have estates here. The common was enclosed in 1810, when 7A. of land was allotted to the poor, who have also 8s. a year from Mowting's Charity.
Baker Wm. vict., Unicorn Guyton Geo. shopkeeper Miller Wm. beer seller Smith Robert carpenter farmers. Andrews Christopher Bush Jonas Deeker James Scales Wm. Vincent James [see note below] Vincent John Vincent Samuel
Note: in the original this is:
James, John, and Samuel Vincent, farmers.
See also the Westfield parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.