"WHEATACRE ALL SAINTS is a parish of scattered houses, 4½ miles E.N.E. of Beccles, and 12 miles S.S.W. of Yarmouth. It comprises 176 inhabitants, and 1141 acres of land, partly in low marshes near the river Waveney, which divides it from Suffolk. R.H. Gurney, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil. The Church stands on an eminence, commanding extensive prospects and is a thatched edifice with a square tower. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at ￡6. 6s. 5½d., and in 1831 at ￡660, with Barnby rectory, and Mutford vicarage, (in Suffolk,) annexed to it, in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Oakes, M.A. The glebe is 54A. " [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Dawn Quadling]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Church of All Saints
- Description and pictures.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wheatacre to another place.
Wheatacre is in Clavering Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clavering Hundred
- Description of Clavering Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Wheatacre has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM464939 (Lat/Lon: 52.487589, 1.627435), Wheatacre which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)