"WHINBURGH, or Whinbergh, is a scattered hamlet and parish, on the Hingham road, 3½ miles S.S.E. of East Dereham, containing 209 inhabitants, and 1242 acres of land. Sir W.R. Clayton, Bart., owns most of the soil, and is lord of this and several other manors, for which Mr. E.R. Grigson, of Watton, is steward. The fines in Whinburgh are certain. The Church (St. Mary) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at ￡6. 18s. 6d., and now enjoyed, with that of Westfield, by the Rev. Wm. Grigson, who purchased the patronage of both livings of Sir W.R. Clayton. The united rectories were valued in 1831 at ￡302. About 500 acres, called Whinburgh Park, pays only a yearly modus of 20s., and the tithes of the rest of the parish were commuted in 1839, for ￡169. 7s. per annum. On the land called Manor yards, the foundations of a large mansion and a double moat are still visible. In the 15th of Edward I., Lord Bardolph claimed here view of frankpledge, a weekly market, and an annual fair." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Peter Apling]
Whinburgh may also be spelled Whinborough.
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- The Memorial Inscriptions of the Church and Churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, Whinburgh, Norfolk.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 2003]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Hingham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
- Taylor, Ron
- Eighty Years of Whinburgh: A collection of news items about the village from the columns of the Dereham and Fakenham Times between the years 1880 and 1959.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whinburgh to another place.
Whinburgh is in Mitford hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whinburgh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- See Westfield
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Mitford and Launditch Registration District, 1836 and nearby places.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG006092 (Lat/Lon: 52.643063, 0.963791), Whinburgh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Roll of Honour
- World War 1.
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.