"WHITTINGTON is a hamlet of the parish of Northwold, at the junction of the roads from Lynn, Brandon and Thetford, and was formed into an ecclesiastical parish July 10, 1874: the village is 2½ miles north-west from Northwold, close by the Stoke Ferry terminal station, and 9½ miles north-west from Brandon station, both on the Great Eastern railway, in the South Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Thetford union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, south division, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Christ church, erected in 1874-5 at the sole expense of the late Mrs. Norman, . . . there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £38, gross yearly value £272, net £250, with residence, in the gift of the representatives of the late Mrs. Norman, and held since 1875 by the Rev. William Thwaites. . . .The principal landowners are James Maher esq. of Lynn, and George Frederick Hargraves, esq. of Stoke Ferry. . . . The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The population in 1881 was 249. . . . Endowed School, formerly a Dissenting chapel, was endowed by the late Mrs. Norman . . . the school will hold 70 children; average attendance 20; Miss Thwaites, mistress." [Kelly's Directory of Norfolk (1896) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Northwold.
Whittington was part of Northwold until 1874.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is Christ Church.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Whittington was in Thetford Registration District.
- Northwold and Whittington Village Life Magazine
- Issues of the magazine up to 2003.
- Wissey Valley Web Pages
- Including Wereham, Wretton, West Dereham, Boughton, Stoke Ferry and Whittington in the Wissey Valley in West Norfolk.
- Coates, Doris E. (editor)
- Victorian Whittington: Memoirs of Freddie T. Bush.
[Harpsden Press, 1989]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whittington to another place.
Whittington is in Grimshoe hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whittington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL717993 (Lat/Lon: 52.564404, 0.531891), Whittington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)