Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1896
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WHITTINGTON is a hamlet of the parish of Northwold, at the junction of the roads from Lynn, Brandon and Thetford, and was formed into an ecclesiastical parish July 10, 1874: the village is 2½ miles north-west from Northwold, close by the Stoke Ferry terminal station, and 9½ miles north-west from Brandon station, both on the Great Eastern railway, in the South Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Thetford union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, south division, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich.
Christ church, erected in 1874-5 at the sole expense of the late Mrs. Norman, in memory of her husband, the Rev. Charles Manners Richard Norman, rector of Northwold from 1833, is a building of flint with stone dressings, in the Gothic style, consisting of nave, west porch and a western turret containing one bell; there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £38, gross yearly value £272, net £250, with residence, in the gift of the representatives of the late Mrs. Norman, and held since 1875 by the Rev. William Thwaites.
Here is an extensive malthouse belonging to Messrs. Whitbread, the brewers, of London. The principal landowners are James Maher esq. of Lynn, and George Frederick Hargraves, esq. of Stoke Ferry. The soil is various; subsoil, chalk and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The population in 1881 was 249.
Parish Clerk, William Pearson.
Pillar Letter Box cleared 10.35 a.m. & 7.10 p.m. Letters are delivered from Stoke Ferry S.O. 7.30 a.m. Stoke Ferry is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Endowed School, formerly a Dissenting chapel, was endowed by the late Mrs. Norman with invested stock in £3 per cent. Consols, producing £60 yearly, & with a small piece of land which brings in £3 yearly; the school will hold 70 children; average attendance 20; Miss Thwaites, mistress.
Thwaites Rev. William Vicarage Chaplin John Bennet manager for Messrs. Whitbread Fison James & Sons maltsters &c.; & at Lynn, Thetford & Dereham Greenacre George farmer Greenacre Harry farmer Greenacre Thomas farmer Harding Alfred farm bailiff to Abraham Rutherford esq Jolly Hannah Bell inn Rudland Henry Thomas grocer & drapr Tingay George farmer
Whitbread & Co. Limited, maltsters
See also the Whittington parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.