Wiggenhall St German
"WIGGENHALL ST. GERMAIN is a village and parish, on both sides of the Great Ouse river, where there is an ancient wooden bridge, 4 miles S.W. by S. of Lynn. It contains 625 inhabitants, and 1,219 acres of land, of which 1,031A. are on the west, and 188A. on the east side of the river, which, a little below the village, is diverted into a new channel, called the Eau-Brink-Cut. . . . Above and below the bridges, the river-banks were . . . straightened by the commissioners of the navigation, at a considerable expense, in 1835, . . . Edward Helsham Browne, Esq., is lord of the manor of Fitton, which comprises the four Wiggenhalls; and he is proprietor of about two-thirds of this parish. The other principal landowners are, Mr. Jarman Patrick; the Rev. J. Royle; the Corporation of Lynn, (137A.;) and Cphr. Carter, Esq. The Hundred Court was anciently held at Fitton Oak, about half a mile west of the village. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Germain, has a square tower, with four bells. . . . The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at ￡6, and in 1831, at ￡108. It is enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. Berkley Greaves, of Blofield, for whom the Rev. J. Bransby, of Lynn, officiates." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- 1851-1891: Census Transcripts and Village Notes (Brian Kell). [Publisher unknown]
- 1891: Surname List
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Marshland, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St German, or St Germain.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wiggenhall St German to another place.
Wiggenhall St German is in Freebridge Marshland hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wiggenhall St German has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Inclosure and Drainage
- See Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Downham Registration District, 1836
- and nearby places.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF599142 (Lat/Lon: 52.702031, 0.364435), Wiggenhall St German which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)