"WINCH (EAST) is a considerable village, with several neat houses, pleasantly seated on the Swaffham turnpike, 6 miles S.E. by E. of Lynn. The parish contains 440 inhabitants, and 2,410 acres of land, belonging to the families of Kent, Platten, Curl, and Smith. The Rev. Geo. Edward Kent is lord of the manors of East Winch and Carrow; and the Bishop of Norwich is lord of the manor of Grancourt, containing about 80 acres. An estate of about 800A., [belonging] to J. Platten, Esq., of Lynn, was lately the property of the Forsters. In 1815, an act was obtained for enclosing and draining the waste lands; but about 80A. still form an open common, on which the poor claim pasturage, &c. . . . The CHURCH, (All Saints,) is an ancient fabric, and had on its south side a chapel, built by the Howards. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at ￡8, and in 1831 at ￡183, has 12½A. of glebe. The Rev. G.E. Kent is patron, and the Rev. E. Edwards, M.A., of Lynn, is the incumbent. Here is a National School, built in 1842." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also West Winch.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Norfolk, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Church of All Saints
- Services, etc.
- Alvis, Edward John
- Sepulchral cross slabs in East Winch church.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.16, 1907]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Winch to another place.
East Winch is in Freebridge Lynn hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which East Winch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Wormegay and other parishes drainage act, 1815.
An act for draining and improving certain fen lands, low grounds and marshes, and other lands and grounds lying in the parishes of Wormegay, Shouldham, Marham, Middleton, Pentney, East Winch, and West Bilney, in the county of Norfolk: 28th June 1815.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1815]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF693164 (Lat/Lon: 52.718671, 0.504426), East Winch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.