Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1896
[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
WINTERTON is a parish and fishing village, 1 miles north from Hemsby station on the Midland and Great Northern railway and about 8 miles north-by-west from Yarmouth and 21 from Norwich, in the Eastern division of the county, incorporated hundreds, petty sessional division and incorporation of East and West Flegg, county court district of Great Yarmouth, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.
The church of Holy Trinity and All Saints, built in the early part of the 14th century, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch with parvise, and a fine embattled western tower, 127 feet high, with pinnacles, between which there are in all eight figures, and it contains 6 bells: the tower, which commands a fine sea view, was restored in 1883: there are tablets to Joseph Hume M.P. d. 20 Feb. 1855, and his son, Joseph Burnley Hume, d. 1871: in 1894 a new organ was provided at a cost of £430, the church was thoroughly restored in 1878, under the direction of Mr. Herbert Green, architect, of Norwich, and chiefly at the cost of Mrs. Burnley Hume, in memory of her husband, William Burnley Hume esq. who resided at the Hill house, and it now affords 400 sittings. The registers, including those of East Somerton, date from the year 1717.
The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of East Somerton annexed; average tithe rent-charge £400, gross yearly value £435, net £370, including 40 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1890 by the Rev. William Arthur Green M.A. of Oxford University.
The Primitive Methodist chapel here was built in 1876.
There is a charity of about £8 a year derived from common land, and divided among the poor in coals.
Here is a coast-guard station with 7 men and a chief officer. In 1859 a surf boat was placed here by the National Life Boat Institution, and a sailing life boat in 1881; Edward Robert Boult is honorary secretary. The lighthouse here, situated on elevated ground, is nearly 70 feet high and is illuminated by a prismatic reflector.
About 150 fishermen are employed in the herring and mackerel fisheries.
Winterton had once a market and a fair, but both have long been obsolete. Hill House is the seat of Mrs. Hume, and has very fine ranges of hot-houses and conservatories. This place gives the title of Earl to the Turnour family. The Earl of Winterton, who is lord of the manor, the trustees of the late F. Charsley esq. and Mrs. Hume are the chief landowners.
The soil is light; subsoil, gravel and sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The parish comprises 1,370 acres of land, exclusive of 118 acres of sea-beach and warren; rateable value, £1,519 5s.; the population in 1891 was 715.
- Parish Clerk, Sexton & Assistant Overseer, William G. Empson.
Winterton Ness, a principal and dangerous promontory on the east coast, is within this parish, and the Trinity Board, in 1850, at the request of the late Joseph Hume esq. M.P. placed a buoy on it. The coast generally is at this point very dangerous to shipping; in ancient times the right of wreckage was appurtenant to the manor, and on one occasion a cause of dispute between the Abbot of St. Benet's-at-Holme and the prior of Norwich. A letter on the subject from William Peacock, steward to Sir John Paxton, then lord of the manor, dated 19 Nov. 1477, is included in the Paston letters.
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.-- Mrs Ann Bullock, sub-postmistress. Letters from Yarmouth arrive at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.5 p.m. Hemsby railway station is the nearest telegraph office.
Coast Guard Station, Reuben Francombe, chief boatman in charge
Lighthouse, John Henry Watson, keeper
- A School Board of 7 members was formed 2 March, 1875, for the United District of Winterton & East & West Somerton; Albert Smith, 23 King street, Yarmouth, clerk to the board; Dennis George, attendance officer
- Board School, built in 1849 & enlarged in 1877, for 250 children; average attendance, 187; Richard C. Jones, master; Mrs. Jones, infants' mistress
Carriers to Yarmouth:-- Henry Smith, mon. wed. fri. & sat.; William Bowgen
Braikenridge George John, Manor cot.
Green Rev. Wm. Arthur M.A. Rectory
Hume Mrs. Hill house
Wilton Mrs. Church cottage
Bowgen William, carrier
Boult Edward Rt. farmer, Winterton hall
Brown Maurice, shopkeeper
Empson James, jun. farmer
Empson William G. assistant overseer & parish clerk
Francombe Reuben, chief officer, coast-guard station & in charge of the Board of Trade rocket apparatus
George Abigaile (Mrs.), shopkeeper
George Frederick Isaiah, grocer &c
George Henry, shopkeeper
Goffin Robert, shopkeeper
Hewitt James, baker
Johnson Thomas William, farmer
King Emma (Miss), dressmaker
King James, boot & shoe maker
King Jas. Three Mariners P.H. Private parties catered for on the most reasonable terms; apartments, close to the sea
Larner Charles, bricklayer
Larner Joseph, bricklayer
National Life boat Institution (branch) (E. R. Boult, hon. sec.)
Pratt Albert John, apartments
Smith Henry, carrier
Starling Austic Wallace, miller (wind)
Starling George Davey, farmer
Waite James, Fisherman's Return P.H
Watson John Henry, lighthouse keeper
Winterton Provident Friendly Society (W. G. Empson, sec)
See also the Winterton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.