Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1904
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
WINTERTON is a parish and fishing village, 1 mile north from Hemsby station on the Midland and Great Northern railway and about 8 miles north-by-west from Yarmouth and 21 from Norwich, in the Eastern Division of the county, incorporated hundreds, petty sessional division and incorporation of East and West Flegg, county court district of Great Yarmouth, rural deaconry of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of Holy Trinity and All Saints, built in the early part of the 14th century, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch with parvise, and a fine embattled western tower, 127 feet high, with pinnacles, between which there are in all eight figures, and it contains 6 bells: the tower, which commands a fine sea view, was restored in 1883: there are tablets to Joseph Hume M.P. d. 20 Feb. 1855, and his son, Joseph Burnley Hume, d. 1871: in 1894 a new organ was provided at a cost of £430, and a handsome carved oak chancel screen was erected in 1899: the church was thoroughly restored in 1878, under the direction of Mr. Herbert Green, architect, of Norwich, and chiefly at the cost of Mrs. Burnley Hume, in memory of her husband, William Burnley Hume esq. who resided at the Hill House, and it now affords 400 sittings. The registers, including those of East Somerton, date from the year 1717. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of East Somerton annexed; joint net yearly value £336, including 30 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1890 by the Rev. William Arthur Green M.A. of Oxford University. The primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1876. There is a charity of about £6 a year derived from common land, and divided amongst the poor in coals. Here is a coastguard station with a chief officer and 7 men. In 1859 a surf boat was placed here by the National Lifeboat Institution, and a sailing life boat in 1881; George W. Beck is honorary secretary. The lighthouse here, situated on elevated ground, is nearly 70 feet in height and is illuminated by a prismatic reflector. About 150 fishermen are employed in the herring and mackerel fisheries. The beach and sands at Winterton are excellent for children, and there is an increasing number of visitors. Winterton had once a market and fair, but both have long been obsolete. Hill House is the seat of Mrs. Hume, and has very fine ranges of hot-houses and conservatories. The place gives the title of Earl to the Turnour family. The Earl of Winterton, who is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the late F. Charsley esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel and sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The parish comprises 1370 acres of land, exclusive of 118 acres of sea-beach and warren; rateable value, £1668; the population in 1901 was 740.
Parish Clerk and Clerk to Parish Council, William G. Empson.
Winterton Ness, a principal and dangerous promentory on the east coast, is within this parish, and the Trinity Board, in 1850, at the request of the late Joseph Hume esq. M.P. placed a buoy on it. The coast generally is at this point very dangerous to shipping; in ancient times the right to wreckage was appurtenant to the manor, and on one occasion was a cause of a dispute between the Abbot of St. Benet's-at-Holme and the Prior of Norwich. A letter on this subject from William Peacock, steward to Sir John Paxton, then lord of the manor, dated 19 Nov. 1477, is included in the Paston letters.
Post, M(oney). O(order). and T(elegraph). O(ffice)., T(elegraph). M(oney). O(order Office)., E(xpress). D(elivery)., S(avings). B(ank). and A(nnuity). and I(nsurance). Office. - Robert Goffin, sub-postmaster. letters from Yarmouth arrive at 7.30 a.m. and 2.45 p.m.; dispatched at 12.45 and 5.5p.m.; sundays, arrive 7.30 a.m.; dispatched 5.5p.m.
(Note that the E(xpress). D(elivery). is believed correct).
Coast Guard Station, James William Bridle, chief boatman in charge.
Lighthouse, Joseph Upton and John Edward Ayres, keepers.
A school committee of 6 managers, formed March, 1904, 4 appointed by County Council and 2 by Parish Authority; appointment takes place triennially; Frederick Isaiah George, chairman; Rev. William A. Green M.A. correspondent.
Public Elementary School, built in 1849, and enlarged in 1877, for 250 children; average attendance, 174; Isaac Lake, master; Mrs. Lake, infants' mistress
Carriers to yarmouth.- Henry Smith, mon. wed. fri. and sat.; George King, wed. and sat. ; 4 p.m.
Boult Mrs. E. R. Braikenridge George John, manor cot Green Rev. Wm. Arthur M.A. Rectry Hume Mrs. Hill house Waters Samuel COMMERCIAL. Ayres John Edward, lighthouse keeper Beck George Waters and Stanley, Winterton hall Bridle James William, chief officer coastguard station and in charge of the Board of Trade rocket apparatus Brown Caroline (Mrs.), shopkeeper Empson William G. clerk to Parish Council, organist and parish clerk and market gardener Gaze William Albert, farmer George Abigail (Mrs.), shopkeeper George Frederick Isaiah, grocer andc George Henry, shopkeeper George Sarah Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper Goffin Robert, shopkeeper and Post off Johnson Thomas William, farmer King James, Three Mariners P.H. and boot and shoe maker King George, carrier Lake Isaac, schoolmaster Larner Joseph, bricklayer Pratt Albert John, apartments Royal National Life Boat Institution(branch) (George W. Beck, hon. sec) Smith Henry, carrier Starling Austic Wallace, miller (stm) Starling George Davey, farmer Upton Joseph, lighthouse keeper Waite Jas. Fisherman's Return P.H. Winterton Provident Friendly Society (Isaac Lake. sec)
See also the Winterton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.