"WITTON, a parish and scattered village, from 3 to 4 miles E. by N. of North Walsham, has 280 inhabitants, and 1720A. of land, mostly the property of Lord Wodehouse, whose principal seat is at Kimberley, . . . The CHURCH (St. Margaret,) has a nave, chancel, side aisles, a porch, and a round tower. It is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at ￡4. 13s. 1d., and in 1831 at ￡136. It was augmented with ￡400 of Queen Anne's bounty, in 1767 and 1786. The glebe is 7A. 1R. 38P. The Bishop of Ely is patron, and the Rev. George Hewitt incumbent. . . A Gothic cottage and School-room were built in 1834, at the cost of Lady C.L. Wodehouse." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Witton (near Blofield).
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Waxham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
- Minns, G.W.W.
- Notice of Mural Paintings at Witton (St Margaret's Church, Tunstead hundred).
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.6, 1864]
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Witton was in Tunstead and Happing Registration District.
This district was renamed on 1st January 1870 and, from then until 1930, Witton was in Smallburgh Registration District for civil registration and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Witton to another place.
Witton is in Tunstead Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Tunstead Hundred
- Description of Tunstead Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Witton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG336312 (Lat/Lon: 52.827558, 1.466158), Witton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.