Norfolk: Wood Dalling


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

WOOD-DALLING, a scattered village and parish, including CRABGATE and TYBY, from 3 to 4 miles N. by W. of Reepham, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 484 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2444 acres, and has a rateable value of £3427.

The parish lies partly in a fertile dale. It was anciently called Dallinga, and was long held by the Dalling family, one of whom built the Hall (now a farmhouse) about 1582. Colonel W.E.G.L. Bulwer is lord of the manors of Wood-Dalling, Monceaux, Halwood-Noijons, and Crabgate; but James Gay, Robert Ives, and J.P. and E.C. Francis, Esqs., and some smaller owners, have estates here.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a large fabric comprising nave with aisles, north and south porches, chancel, and lofty square tower with five bells. It contains a good harmonium, a fine piscina, and several inscriptions and brasses of the Bulwer and other families; and was re-roofed and re-seated in 1852, and heated in 1883, by subscription.

The vicarage is valued in the King's Book at £8 8s. 4d. The patronage, with 110 acres of land and the rectorial tithes, belongs to Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and the Rev. Edmund Worlledge, M.A., is the incumbent. There is an Elizabethan vicarage-house, which was erected in 1850. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £379 19s. 11d. per annum, and are held on lease by Colonel W.E.G.L. Bulwer. The vicarial glebe is 56A. 1R. 38P. The vicar has also a yearly modus of £38 9s. 6¾d.

Near it is the School, built in 1851, and transferred to School Board in 1883. Here is an Independent and also a Primitive Methodist chapel. The poor have a yearly rent-charge of £6 10s., left by Edward Bulwer in 1658, out of land called Blooms.

POST OFFICE at Mr. W. Howard's. Letters from Norwich, viâ Reepham, are received at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 2.40 p.m. Reepham is the nearest Money Order Office and Railway Station.

         Balls     John              farm bailiff
         Bussens   Robert            farmer, Tyby
         Bussens   James             butcher & victualler, Jolly Farmers
         Clark     Alfred            farmer, Crabgate farm
         Clark     Herbert George    farmer
         Cottrill  Josiah            wheelwright
         Cowell    Arthur            carpenter
         Dack      Robert            farm bailiff
         Dawson    Robert            farm bailiff
         Eke       John              carrier
         Farrow    George            farmer
         Fitt      Robert            bricklayer
         Francis   John Philip       farmer; h Wood-Norton
         Grapes    Jonathan          grocer and draper
         Hardiment Frederick         blacksmith
         Howard    Wm.               grcr. drpr. and postmstr
         Hutchins  Mrs Eleanor       schoolmistress
         Ireland   Hy. John          farmer, auctioneer, & estate
                                       agt. The Hall; & Norwich
         Ives      Robert            farmer; h Calthorpe
         Jones     George            farmer
         Kelty     Alfred            bricklayer & parish clk
         Margeson  Barnes            farmer
         Margeson  Edward            farmer, Tyby
         Moul      Mrs Elizabeth     farmer
         Pomfrey   Matthew           farmer
         Prior     Mrs Ann           victualler, Plough
         Riches    Jeremiah          farmer
         Riches    John              butcher & assist. overseer
         Ward      Walter & William  carpenters and blacksmiths
         Wilson    Robert            blacksmith

CARRIER - J. Eke, to Norwich, Wed. and Sat.

See also the Wood Dalling parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2009