William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WOODBASTWICK, 8 miles N.E. by E. of Norwich, has in its parish 283 souls, and 2162 acres, but only 1418 acres are assessable, there being in the marshes several large broads, or lakes, near the river Bure.
John Cator, Esq., owns the greater part of the soil, and is lord of the manor, impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the Church (St. Fabian and St. Sebastian,) which is a small antique fabric. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6, has been united with the rectory of Panxworth since 1699, and the joint benefices were valued, in 1831, at £206 per annum. The Rev. Wm. Ker is the incumbent.
The poor have £7. 13s. a year, as the rent of 2A. called "Town Land," and 5A. allotted to them at the enclosure of Mousehold Heath, in 1810. Mrs. Cator supports a free school for thirty children.
Cator John and Albemarle, Esqrs. Hall Dunton Mary free school Fryer Wm. joiner and grocer Ker Rev. Wm. Vicarage Winter Jeremiah shoemaker farmers Coleman Timothy Goulder Cphr. and Samuel Highs Thomas Long Charles Sutton Robert Thirkettle George Watts Isaac
See also the Woodbastwick parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.