William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WOODBASTWICK, 8 miles N.E. by E. of Norwich, has in its parish 2162 acres, but only 1418 acres are assessable, there being in the marshes several large broads or lakes, near the river Bure. It is in Blofield union, Walsham hundred, Blofield and Walsham petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy court district, Blofield polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 210 inhabitants in 1881, and has a rateable value of £2424.
Albemarle Cator, Esq., who owns the greater part of the soil, is lord of the manor. The Hall, a large mansion, situated in extensive and park-like grounds, about a mile from the church, is the seat of A. Cator, Esq, and was much enlarged some years ago, but was destroyed by fire on December 29, 1882.
The CHURCH (St. Fabian and St. Sebastian) is a fabric of Early English architecture, covered with thatch, and consisting of nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower with two bells. The church was thoroughly restored by A. Cator, Esq., in 1880, from designs of the late Sir Gilbert Scott. During the restoration a piscina and sedilia were discovered, which had been blocked up and are now open, and at the same time the new windows of stained glass were put in throughout the edifice; those in the chancel, in memory of the Cator family, are by Clayton & Bell, and those in the nave by Lavers & Baraud.
A. Cator, Esq., is impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's Book at £6, and has been united with the rectory of Panxworth since 1699. The joint benefices are valued at £206 per annum, and the Rev. Henry Peter Dunster, M.A., is the incumbent. The vicarage-house is a thatched residence of red brick, with pleasant grounds, near the church; and there are 26 acres of glebe here, and 32 acres at Panxworth.
A new school was built at the cost of A. Cator, Esq., and is supported by rate. It has an attendance of 40 children. The poor have £7 13s. a year, as the rent of 2 acres called 'Town Land,' and 5 acres allotted to them at the enclosure of Mousehold Heath in 1810.
POST OFFICE at Mr. William Fryer's. Letters arrive at 8.20 a.m., and are despatched at 3.45 p.m. week days, and 9.20 a.m. on Sundays, viâ Norwich. Blofield is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Cator Albemarle, Esq., J.P. Woodbastwick hall Coe Joseph farmer Dunster Rev. Henry P., M.A. vicar Fryer William parish clerk and sub-postmaster Fryer William, jun. joiner Gibbs Charles blacksmith Goulder Harry farmer, Ferry farm Goulder Samuel farmer, Street farm, and Heath farm Harriss William farmer Herwin Samuel farmer, Old Hall farm Long John bricklayer Lowndes Henry Wm. Selby steward to A. Cator, Esq. Rushbrook William woodman Stone Richard estate carpenter Winter William tailor
See also the Woodbastwick parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.