William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WOODTON, 10 miles S. by E. of Norwich, and 5 miles N.W. by N. of Bungay, is a parish in Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy court district, Loddon hundred and polling district of South Norfolk, East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 477 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2125 acres; the rateable value is £3444.
The soil belongs to several proprietors, the chief of whom are Robert Fellows, G.S. Howman, and C.W. Unthank, Esqs. The Hall, which was long a seat of the Suckling family, was pulled down in 1839.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is chiefly in the early Decorated style, and comprises nave, chancel, south aisle, north porch, and tower. The last contains six bells, and is round at the base and octagonal above. Formerly here was a curious alms-box on which was the date 1691. In the chancel is a piscina, and also a monument with a kneeling marble effigy of Anne, wife of Robert Suckling, Esq., who died in 1653. Here are also several tablets of the Suckling, Bone, and Yelloly families. The church was restored in 1877, at a cost of £900.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., is in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Edward Long, M.A., who has a good residence, built in 1832. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £621 per annum, and the glebe is 24 acres.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1836.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established in 1876, and consists of the Rev. F.E. Long, M.A. (chairman), Messrs. A.M. Callender (vice-chairman), R. Fellowes, of Shotesham, Charles Warmoll, and William Tidman. The BOARD SCHOOL was built in 1876, at a cost of £1000, to accommodate 100 children.
The following charities are now vested with the Charity Commissioners:- The town lands, which have been vested from an early period for the repairs of the church, &c., consist of 10A. 1R. 29P. in Brooke, let for £13; and 26A. 3R. 8P. in Woodton, let for £13. The latter was received in exchange at the enclosure in 1814. In 1705 Henry Moyse left for the relief of the poor at Woodton a house, barn, stable, and 20 acres of land at Ellingham, now let for £45 a year, which is distributed in bread and coal at the church. The poor have also two yearly rent-charges, viz.: 6s. left by Nicholas Wilton in 1665; and 10s. left by one Bardwell, out of land at Geldeston.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Joseph Catchpole's. Letters, viâ Bungay, arrive at 10.30 a.m., and are despatched at 3.30 p.m.
Baker Miss Sarah Board schlmistress
Baldwin Chas. bricklayer & farmer
Bunn Mrs Mary farmer and owner
Button John shopkeeper & pork btchr
Callendar Alexander Mackson farmer, The Lodge
Catchpole Jph. shopkpr. & postmaster
Dingles - gamekeeper
Dickerson Frederick Wm. vict. Tumbledown Dick Inn,
Everett George farm steward
Everett Robt. Last miller & shopkpr
Gooch Henry blacksmith, parish clerk,
Long Rev. Frederick
Edward, M.A. rector, The Rectory
Millett John thatcher
Sanderson John farm steward
Smith Mrs Hannah shopkeeper
Tibb George Harvey saddler
Tidman Wm. blacksmith & whlwright
Todd Thomas shoemaker
Vincent David vict. King's Head
Warmoll Chas. farmer and surveyor
Webb Alfred woodman
Whiting Lewis shoemaker
See also the Woodton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.