Norfolk: North Wootton
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WOOTTON (NORTH) is a small village, overlooking the Wash, 3½ miles N. of Lynn. Its parish has 210 inhabitants, and about 1,535 acres of land, of which 150A. are rich salt-marsh, 280A. heath, and 40A. woodland. Mrs. and the Hon. F.G. Howard, own the manor, and are patrons of the CHURCH, (All Saints,) - this and the other Wootton being in the peculiar jurisdiction of the borough of Castle-Rising.
The church was repaired in 1834, at the cost of £300, except the tower, which is in ruins, only two of its walls remaining. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £10, and in 1831 at £180, is enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Willcox Clarke, M.A.
The other principal residents are
Gay Thos. farmer Naylor James beer house Pung Thos. farmer Rolfe John shoemaker & parish clerk Royston Wm. farmer
Note: the format of the directory has been changed.
See also the North Wootton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.