"WOOTTON (NORTH) is a small village, overlooking the Wash, 3½ miles N. of Lynn. Its parish has 210 inhabitants, and about 1,535 acres of land, of which 150A. are rich salt-marsh, 280A. heath, and 40A. woodland. Mrs. and the Hon. F.G. Howard, own the manor, and are patrons of the CHURCH, (All Saints,) - this and the other Wootton being in the peculiar jurisdiction of the borough of Castle-Rising. The church was repaired in 1834, at the cost of ￡300, except the tower, which is in ruins, only two of its walls remaining. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at ￡10, and in 1831 at ￡180, is enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Willcox Clarke, M.A." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also South Wootton.
- Until 1857, the parish was in the Peculiar of Castle Rising.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Norfolk, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Wootton to another place.
North Wootton is in Freebridge Lynn hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which North Wootton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- and nearby places.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF643240 (Lat/Lon: 52.788957, 0.435675), North Wootton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)