"WOOTTON (SOUTH), one mile from the above [ie from North Wootton], and 2½ miles N. by E. of Lynn, is a small village near the Wash, comprising within its parish only 151 inhabitants, and 1,140 acres, of which 300 are common, and the rest enclosed. The Rev. W.C. Ray, and others, are owners of the soil; but the Hon. F.G. Howard is lord paramount. The CHURCH, (St. Mary,) is a small ancient fabric. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at ￡8 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at ￡226. It is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Haughton, M.A., for whom a parsonage-house was erected, in 1844. A few of the houses at Wootton-Gap, are in Gaywood parish." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also North Wootton.
- Until 1857, the parish was in the Peculiar of Castle Rising.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Norfolk, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Wootton to another place.
South Wootton is in Freebridge Lynn hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which South Wootton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Sykes, D.M.M.
- The Search for a Small Community: South Wootton, c.1600-1720.
[University of Cambridge Board of Extra-mural Studies, 1990]
- See Gaywood.
- and nearby places.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF645227 (Lat/Lon: 52.776913, 0.436963), South Wootton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)