Norfolk: South Wootton
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WOOTTON (SOUTH), one mile from the above [ie from North Wootton], and 2½ miles N. by E. of Lynn, is a small village near the Wash, comprising within its parish only 151 inhabitants, and 1,140 acres, of which 300 are common, and the rest enclosed. The Rev. W.C. Ray, and others, are owners of the soil; but the Hon. F.G. Howard is lord paramount.
The CHURCH, (St. Mary,) is a small ancient fabric. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £226. It is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Haughton, M.A., for whom a parsonage-house was erected, in 1844.
A few of the houses at Wootton-Gap, are in Gaywood parish. The watery salt-marshes, lying between Lynn and Wootton. are now (Dec. 1844) being improved by a new drain, extending from the uplands to Fisher Fleet.
Blomfield Miles gent. Blomfield Alfred and Edward farmers Griffin Wm. farmer Haughton Rev. Wm., M.A. rector Haythorpe Geo. farrier Kirby Wm. gardener Pinchin John jobber Reader Wm. parish-clerk Saddleton Thos. bricklayer Stapleton James vict., Swan Stapleton James, jun. shoemaker
See also the South Wootton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.