William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WORMEGAY, or Wermegay, is a small dispersed village, 6 miles S.S.E. of Lynn, lying on the south side of the navigable river Nar. Its parish extends to Setch bridge, and contains 330 inhabitants, and 2,749 acres of land, of which Daniel Henry Lee-Warner, Esq., is principal owner, and lord of the manor; but W.W. Lee-Warner, Esq., is impropriator of the tithes.
This lordship was anciently held by the Bardolphs and Warrens; the former of whom had a castle here, of which the moat still remains; and the latter founded a priory near the village, in the reign of King John, for Austin canons; but a farm-house now occupies its site, which was granted at the dissolution to the Bishop of Norwich, together with the advowson of the CHURCH, (St. Michael,) a small edifice, with a tower and one bell.
The curacy, certified at £20, was augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, in 1779 and 1800; and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Henslowe, M.A., of Tottenhill.
Here is a National School, built in 1839.
The Fuel Allotments, awarded at the enclosure, in 1811, comprise 21A. 3R. 23P., on which the parishioners (not occupying above the yearly value of £6,) cut turf, furze, &c., and let the herbage for about £9 a year. The poor have £2 a year, paid by a tenement of Henry Lee-Warner, Esq., as interest of money, left by R. Maltby, G. Brown, and other donors.
Curtis Thos. yeoman
Emerson Edw. farmer
Fish Chas. beer seller
Gore John shopkeeper
Hoff Wm. farmer
Hogge & Co. brewers, Setch; Bridge, and Lynn
Lockwood Geo. wheelwright
Panton George shopkeeper
Young Wm. Holland vict., Crown
Sporne Thomas schoolmaster
See also the Wormegay parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.