"WORTHING, 4½ miles N. of East Dereham, is a small parish on the banks of a rivulet which rises near Dereham, and flows northward to the Wensum. It comprises 158 inhabitants, and 783 acres of land, mostly the property of Edward Lombe, Esq., the lord of the manor, and patron of the Church (St. Margaret,) which was repewed in 1835, and is a rectory, consolidated with Swanton-Morley." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Jayne Cole]
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- Monumental Inscriptions of the Church and Churchyard of St Margaret's Worthing, with illustrations.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 1996?]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Worthing to another place.
Worthing is in Launditch Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Launditch Hundred
- Description of Launditch Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Worthing has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF999198 (Lat/Lon: 52.739306, 0.959585), Worthing which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)