William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
WORTHING, 4½ miles N. of East Dereham, is a small parish on the banks of a rivulet which rises near Dereham, and flows northward to the Wensum. It is in Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, Launditch hundred, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 113 inhabitants in 1881, living on 690 acres, and has a rateable value of £1064.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret) is a small fabric, comprising nave, south porch, and low round tower with one bell. The Rev. Hy. E. Lombe is patron of the rectory, which is consolidated with that of Swanton Morley. The joint livings are now worth £1065 per annum, and are in the incumbency of the Rev. Edward Lombe, B.A., who has a handsome residence at Swanton Morley.
'Henry de Rie, by will without date, gave to the monks of Castle-Acre, the mill of Worthing, with Thurston, the miller, his mother, and brothers, with all their substance !!!'
The poor have 12s. a year from Gooch's Charity. The rent of the Town Land, 9A., is applied in the repair of the fabric of the church, and any residue is given to the widows and aged in coal, &c.
POST via East Dereham. Elmham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Eaton William farmer Golden Alfred shopkeeper Golden Isaiah victualler, Tanner's Arms Hutson James farmer Loades John vict. Swan, and blacksmith; and Swanton Mayes John farmer Neal George parish clerk Phillipo James fellmonger and skin dresser, Worthing tanyard
See also the Worthing parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.