William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845WRETTON, a parish and scattered village, 1 mile W. of Stoke Ferry, and 6 miles E. by S. of Downham, has 533 inhabitants, and 1,102 acres of land, mostly the property of J.B.S. Bradfield and Roger Micklefield, Esqrs., the former of whom is lord of the manor of Wretton; but part of the parish is in Ravenham and Stoke-Wereham manors.
The CHURCH, (All Saints,) is a thatched building, with a square tower and two bells. It is a curacy, certified at £10 2s. 6d., augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's bounty, in 1751 and '2, and consolidated with Wereham; the Rev. J. Royle being incumbent, and E.R. Pratt, Esq., the patron and impropriator.
Here is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel.
A house occupied by paupers, and 5A. 1R. 23P. of land, now let for £15 18s., were left to the poor, by Jane Forby, in 1711. They have also 9s. 6d. a year, in two rent charges, left by unknown donors. The Fuel Allotment, 25A., awarded at the enclosure of the Common Fen, is used by the poor for cutting turf, &c. An acre of "Parish Land," was exchanged at the enclosure for a house and out buildings, now occupied by paupers.
Banham Henry shoemaker King Cyril victualler, Red Lion Smith Joseph victualler, Chequers Pond Rowing beer seller Steward Robert beer seller FARMERS. Addison Richard Brown George King Thomas Richard Walter Townley Henry
See also the Wretton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.