"WROXHAM, 6½ miles N.E. of Norwich, on the Worstead road, is a picturesque village, standing on the summit and bold acclivities of the south bank of the river Bure, which is here crossed by a good bridge, . . . The parish contains 363 inhabitants, and 1344A. 3R. 20P. of land, belonging to several proprietors, the largest of whom are Miss Foulsham, Jas. Green, Esq., the Rev. John Humfrey, and Sigismund Trafford, Esq., the latter of whom is lord of the manor and owner of the Hall, a neat mansion, with pleasant grounds. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) stands on a lofty eminence, above the river, . . . The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at ￡7. 17s. 1d., and in 1831 at ￡337, with that of Salhouse annexed to it, in the gift of S. Trafford, Esq., and incumbency of the Ven. Archdeacon Collyer, of Hackford. . . . Wm. Burroughes, Esq., is impropriator of most of the rectorial tithes. The glebe here is 17A. 2R. 1P., and the vicarial tithes were commuted in 1839 for ￡129. 7s. 1d. per annum." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Roxham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Taverham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
- Wroxham Parish Council
- News, councillors, meetings, minutes, map, pictures, etc.
- The Bridge
- Monthly magazine for the parishes of Wroxham, Hoveton and Belaugh.
- Wroxham Smock Mill
- Description and history.
- Wroxham Steam Mill
- Description, history and pictures.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wroxham to another place.
Wroxham is in Taverham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Taverham Hundred
- Description of Taverham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Wroxham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG301176 (Lat/Lon: 52.707387, 1.404361), Wroxham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The shop "Roys of Wroxham" is in Hoveton St John.
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1861 Census
- "ST. FAITHS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes comprised in the District of St. Faiths is attributed to the migration of labourers and their families to the manufacturing districts."