William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WROXHAM, 6½ miles N.E. of Norwich, on the Stalham Road, is a picturesque village and parish in St. Faith's union, Taverham hundred and petty sessional division, Norwich county court and bankruptcy court district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Taverham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 378 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1494 acres of land. The rateable value is £2256. The village stands on the summit and bold acclivities of the south bank of the river Bure, which is here crossed by a good bridge, and flows in a very circuitous channel, expanding into several broads, abounding with pike, perch, and other fish, and navigable for small craft to Yarmouth.
The parish belongs to several proprietors. William Henry Trafford, Esq., is lord of the manor, but E.S. Trafford, Esq., J.P., resides at the Hall, a plain square brick mansion with pleasant grounds. Wroxham House, a handsome modern residence with extensive lawn and plantations, is the seat of Robert Blake Humfrey, Esq.; and Broad House, the seat of Alfred John Norman Chamberlin, Esq., is pleasantly situated on the margin of Wroxham Broad, a fine sheet of water, on which the annual regatta of the Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club is held. William Frederick Green, Esq., and Mr. Charles Utting have also estates and houses here.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) stands on a lofty eminence above the river, and is a noble edifice, comprising nave with aisles, south porch, chancel, and square tower with six bells. It was originally of Norman architecture, and the south doorway is a splendid specimen of that style, being deeply recessed and elaborately ornamented. The rest of the building is now mostly Perpendicular, and was judiciously restored in 1845 at a cost of about £600, including the insertion of new windows filled with stained glass at the east and west ends, the former representing scenes from the life of Christ, and the latter the Nativity, Baptism and Adoration, the Virgin Mary, Our Saviour, and St. John. The roof is of open timber, with finely carved corbels; and here are several marble tablets of the Wace, Hardy, Humfrey, and Collyer families, a piscina, a carved reredos, and a hagioscope from the south aisle. In the churchyard are seven large oak trees, preserved as ornaments. There is also a mausoleum, erected over the vault of the late R.S. Trafford Southwell, Esq.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7 17s. 1d., and now at £337, with that of Salhouse annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Francis Boddington, M.A., of Salhouse. (See p. 663 [which is the entry for Salhouse].) William Henry Trafford, Esq., is patron, and also impropriator of the rectorial tithes. The glebe here is 18A. 3R. 24P., and the vicarial tithes were commuted in 1839 for £139 per annum.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established here in 1875, and consists of the Rev. T.F. Boddington (chairman), Messrs. R. Blake Humfrey, Esq. (vice-chairman), A.J.N. Chamberlin, W.F. Green, L. Gates, and Rev. J.B. Meadows, and Henry Brook for Hoveton. Mr. Richard Grigson, of Norwich, is the clerk. The school was built for 100 children in 1876, at a cost of £1200.
In 1674 Edmund Topcliffe charged his estate here with the yearly payment of £2 10s., to be applied as follows:- 20s. worth of bread for the poor of Wroxham, Salhouse, Belaugh, and Hoveton St. John; 10s. towards repairing the south aisle of Wroxham church; 4s. to the clerk, and 16s. to the vicar for a sermon on New Year's Day. The School is attended by about 40 children, and is endowed with the interest of £450 Three per Cents., left in 1856 by Miss Bryant for educating children according to the principles of the Established Church.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Samuel Water's. Letters from Norwich, viâ Hoveton, arrive at 6 a.m. and are despatched at 5.15 p.m.
Boddington Rev. Thomas
Francis, M.A. rector; h Salhouse
Bush Charles parish clerk
Chamberlin Alfd. Jno. N. (exors. of). fmr
Craig Miss Johanna Board schlmstrss
Custance Norris shopkeeper
Dyball Miss Mary The Mount
Ellis John plumber, painter, &c.
Gates Luddington farmer, overseer, surveyor
Green Col. Thomas Edward The Lines
Green William Frederick merchant, maltster, farmer
and landowner, brick,
tile, and sanitary tube
and pottery manufacturer,
The Grange; and Ludham,
Hall Henry Tudor shoemaker
Humfrey Robert Blake, Esq.,
J.P., D.L. Wroxham house
Jacobs William shoemaker
Jay Mrs Margaret Rose cottage
Platten John farm bailiff
Siely Mrs Rebecca grocer
Smith Stephen farm bailiff
Stephenson John blacksmith
Trafford Edward Southwell,
Esq., J.P. The Hall
Utting Charles farmer and owner
Waters Samuel tailor and postmaster
Youngs William vict. Castle Inn
See also the Wroxham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.