"YARMOUTH (GREAT), a parish and sea-port and borough and market-town, having separate jurisdiction, locally in the eastern division of the hundred of Flegg, county of NORFOLK, 23 miles (E. by S.) from Norwich, and 123 (N. E.) from London, containing, according to the last census, 18,040 inhabitants. . . . The town occupies an extent of one hundred and fifty-three acres, on the western bank of a peninsula formed by the river Yare and the sea, and is connected with South Town, or Little Yarmouth, which is on the opposite bank, by a drawbridge. It is divided into eight wards, and is of a quadrangular form, about a mile long, and half a mile broad: it consists of four good streets parallel with each other, a handsome new street leading to the quay, on which is a noble range of buildings, and a great number of narrow rows intersecting the principal streets at right angles: it is lighted with gas, and well supplied with fresh water, and the streets are kept remarkably clean. . . . The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. . . . The present church, situated in the north-east part of the town, was founded by Herbert de Lozinga, Bishop of Norwich, about 1101. . . . The commissioners for building churches, aided by a subscription raised among some of the inhabitants, have commenced the erection of a new church, or chapel. . . . There are places of worship for Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics." [Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright © Mel Lockie]
- Young, Rachel Mary Ransford
- Treasures of the Yarmouth museums.
[Great Yarmouth, Norfolk Museum Service, 1976]
- Fewster, Mary Innes
- The Yarmouth herring industry 1880-1960. (Vol.1: Text; Vol.2: Photographs).
[Norwich, University of East Anglia Thesis, 1985]
- Lewis, Charles
- Pierhead paintings: ship portraits from East Anglia.
[Norwich, Norfolk Museums Service, c1982]
- Murphy, John Desmond
- The town and trade of Great Yarmouth, 1740-1850.
[Norwich, University of East Anglia Thesis, 1979]
|St Mary's, Great Yarmouth, Church of England|
|St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, Church of England|
|Dissenters' Burial Ground, Great Yarmouth, Cemetery|
|New Cemetery (Municipal), Great Yarmouth, Cemetery|
|Old Cemetery (Municipal), Great Yarmouth, Cemetery|
|Roman Catholic Cemetery, Great Yarmouth, Cemetery|
|Cemetery (Colbys Gate), Great Yarmouth, Jewish|
|Cemetery (Kitchener Road), Great Yarmouth, Jewish|
|Meeting House+Burial Ground, Great Yarmouth, Society of Friends|
- Finch-Crisp, William
- Chronological retrospect of the history of Yarmouth and neighbourhood from A.D. 46 to 1884: containing about 5,000 important local events.
[Great Yarmouth, 1884]
Finch-Crisp's Chronology is online.
- McBride, John
- A Diary of Great Yarmouth.
3000 chronological facts, with over 4,600 indexed entries by topic.
[ISBN 0952071908, 1998]
- Norfolk Record Office: Information Leaflet 20
- Key Dates in the History of Great Yarmouth.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Flegg, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas.
- Park (and Tabernacle) Baptist Church
- Pictures, history, ministers, etc.
This is a link to an archived copy.
- (No author)
- Chronicles of the old Congregational Church at Great Yarmouth, 1642-1858.
[Great Yarmouth, 1908]
- Minster Church of St Nicholas
- Pictures, history, etc.
- Lupson, Edward John
- St Nicholas' Church, Great Yarmouth: its history, organ, pulpit, library etc.
[Yarmouth, Lupson, 1881]
- Christchurch Methodist Church, Newtown
- Minister, services, picture, etc.
Follow the link to the home page, then search for the church.
- Watmough, A.
- A history of Methodism in the town and neighbourhood of Great Yarmouth: including biographical sketches of some of the leading characters who have been among the Methodists at that place.
[London, John Kershaw, 1826]
- "Old Meeting" Unitarian Church
- Picture, description, minister, etc.
- Jewson, Charles Boardman
- Transcript of three registers of passengers from Great Yarmouth to Holland and New England, 1637 to 1639.
[Norwich, Norfolk Record Society Vol 25, 1954]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Yarmouth to another place.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for the Borough of Great Yarmouth
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Yarmouth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Jewish Cemeteries in Yarmouth
- International Jewish Cemetery Project
- The Hutch Map
- This is a 16th century map showing the possible state of the estuary at Yarmouth, in about the year 1000.
- Faden's Map of 1797
- This shows a plan of Yarmouth, with the rows and the town walls.
- Maps of 1997
- These show the streets of Yarmouth, with their names.
- Norfolk Record Office: Information Leaflet 25
- Old Yarmouth in Maps and Plans
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG527076 (Lat/Lon: 52.607739, 1.730602), Great Yarmouth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Palmer, Frederick Danby
- Yarmouth notes, 1830-1872: collated from the file of the Norwich Mercury.
[Great Yarmouth, Buckle, 1889]
- Rutledge, Paul
- A calendar of Great Yarmouth enrolled apprenticeship indentures, 1563-1665.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society Vol 11, 1979]
- Gauci, Perry
- Politics and Society in Great Yarmouth, 1660-1722.
[ISBN 0198206054, Oxford Historical Monographs, 1996]
- Whitehead, John Benson
- The history of the Great Yarmouth Grammar School 1551-1951: with some account of the town.
[Great Yarmouth, 1951]
- Great Yarmouth Corporation
- Handlist of the archives of date before 1835 preserved in the Town Clerk's Department.
[London, Historical Manuscripts Commission for the National Register of Archives, 1965]
- Great Yarmouth Corporation
- A report of the investigation before His Majesty's municipal commissioners, J.G. Hogg and J. Buckle, esqrs., barristers at law, appointed to examine into, and report on the corporate affairs of this borough; compiled by Henry Barrett.
[London, Barnes; Norwich, Bacon and Kinnebrook, 1834]
- A Calendar of the freemen of Great Yarmouth, 1429-1800: compiled from the records of the Corporation of that Borough.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, 1910]
- Rutledge, Paul (Ed)
- Great Yarmouth Assembly minutes, 1538-1545; (with the Norwich accounts for the customs on strangers' goods and merchandise, 1582-1610, edited by D.L. Richwood).
[Norwich, Norfolk Record Society, vol 39, 1970]
- Rutledge, Paul
- Guide to the Great Yarmouth borough records.
[ISBN 090310301X, Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Record Office, 1972]