"YAXHAM, a village and parish on the Hingham road, 2 miles S.E. by S. of East Dereham, has 450 inhabitants and 1600 acres of land. Sir W.R. Clayton is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs to W. Collison and several other proprietors. The CHURCH (St. Peter,) is a small neat edifice, with a round tower, five bells, and a remarkable font in the florid Gothic style. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at ￡10, was consolidated with Welborne, and the united livings were valued at ￡722, in 1831; but they have recently been disunited. Yaxham rectory is worth about ￡500 per annum. The Rev. W.C. Johnson, M.A., is patron and incumbent. The National School, built here in 1843, is attended by about 70 children." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- The Monumental Inscriptions of the Church and Churchyard of St Peter, Yaxham, Norfolk.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 1998]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Hingham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Nobbs, Margaret, and Nobbs, Geoffrey
- In and around Yaxham: From wills and other sources.
- Yaxham Village
- News, organisations, description, map, pictures, parish council, etc.
- Yaxham Light Railway
- Description, station, locomotives, pictures, etc.
- Yaxham Post Mill
- Description and history.
- Yaxham Smock Mill
- Yaxham Tower Mill
- Description, history and pictures.
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1850: Hunt's Directory of East Norfolk with Part of Suffolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1868: Harrod's Postal and Commercial Directory of Norfolk and Norwich
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Yaxham to another place.
Yaxham is in Mitford hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Yaxham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG009106 (Lat/Lon: 52.655873, 0.968428), Yaxham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)