William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845YELVERTON, on a bold acclivity, nearly 6 miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, has in its parish 82 souls, and 529 acres of land. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary,) is a neat fabric with a square tower, rebuilt in 1644, and containing three bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, and in 1831 at £421, with that of Alpington annexed to it, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Postle, B.A. Till the new poor law came into operation, Yelverton and Alpington were united for the support of their poor, but they are now connected only in ecclesiastical affairs. The Church Land is 1A. 17P.
At the enclosure of the heath, under an act of the 41st of George III., a Fuel Allotment of 4A. 26P. was awarded to the poor. In 1698, Mrs. Ann Rant left £200 to be laid out in land, - one half of the rent for the rector, and the other moiety for the poor of Yelverton and Alpington. The land purchased with this legacy is 21A. 1R. 35P., in Kirby-Cane, called Lechmere Lands, and now let for £30 a year.
Postle Rev. Edw., B.A. Rectory Whitmore John shoemaker farmers. Crabtree Granville Giles Ebenezer Smith Reuben Wythe Nathaniel
See also the Yelverton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.