William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
YELVERTON is a parish on a bold acclivity, 5½ miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, in Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Henstead hundred, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 85 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 529 acres of land. The rateable value is £994. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor, but Mr. W.B. Stansby and others have estates here.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) is a plain fabric, comprising nave with clerestory, south aisle, south porch, chancel, and square tower with three bells. It is in the Decorated style, but the east and west windows are modern Perpendicular insertions. The chancel contains a piscina, and there is another at the east end of the south aisle, which has evidently been a Lady chapel. The lower part of the chancel screen still remains, and its panels bear paintings of saints. The font is Decorated, but rests on Norman pillars. Here are tablets to the memory of the Playter, Nichols, Day, Bawtree, and Crabtree families, and a marble monument to H. Rant, Esq.,dated 1661.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, and now at £408, with that of Alpington annexed, is in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. C.R. Ferguson Davie, M.A., rural dean, and J.P., who has here a good rectory house, which was enlarged, at the entire expense of the rector, in 1873.
Till the Poor Law Act came into operation Yelverton and Alpington were united for the support of their poor, but they are now connected only in ecclesiastical affairs. The church land is 1A. 17P., let for £3 15s. At the enclosure of the heath, under an Act of the 41st of George III., a fuel allotment of 4A. 26P. was awarded to the poor, and is let for £8 6s. In 1698 Mrs. Ann Rant left £200 to be laid out in land, one half of the rent for the rector, and the other moiety for the poor of Yelverton and Alpington. The land purchased with this legacy is 21A. 1R. 35P. in Kirby Cane, called Lechmere Lands, and now let for £15 a year.
The children of this parish attend the school at Alpington.
POST from Norwich, viâ Framingham.
Calthorpe John farmer
Ferguson Davie Rev. C.R. J.P. The Rectory
Lovewell William farmer
Nobbs Jeremiah pork butcher
Sheldrake Charles shopkeeper and wheelwright
Thrower Alfred S. farmer
Whitmore John farmer
CARRIER - George Barnes, Loddon and Norwich, Wed. and Sat.
See also the Yelverton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.