Burlingham St Peter
"BURLINGHAM (NORTH,) is a scattered village, on and near the Yarmouth turnpike, 9 miles E. of Norwich, lying in the two parishes of Burlingham St. Andrew and St. Peter, the former of which has 214 souls, and 859 acres, and the latter 91 souls, and about 400 acres of land. Part of the former belongs to Wm. Jary, Esq., of Burlingham House, a neat mansion, built in 1790; and nearly all the other land in the two parishes is the property of Henry Negus Burroughes, Esq., M.P., one of the representatives of East Norfolk, who resides at Burlingham Hall, a large cemented mansion, with a richly-wooded lawn of nearly 100 acres. The two Churches are within a quarter of a mile of each other. St. Andrew's is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and in 1831 at £560, with that of Burlingham St. Edmund annexed to it, in the gift of H.N. Burroughes, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. J. Burroughes, of Lingwood. St. Peter's is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and is in the same patronage and incumbency as the above. It has 10A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £148.13s., in lieu of tithes." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Blofield, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- Hill, Gilbert F.
- A history of North Burlingham churches: St Andrew and St Peter.
[Norwich, Roberts Printers, 1939]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burlingham St Peter to another place.
Burlingham St Peter is in Blofield Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Blofield Hundred
- Description of Blofield Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Burlingham St Peter has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG373103 (Lat/Lon: 52.638428, 1.505684), Burlingham St Peter which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)