Morton on the Hill
"MORTON-ON-THE-HILL, 8 miles N.W. of Norwich, on the southern acclivity of the vale of the Wensum, has in its parish 165 souls and 976 acres of land, belonging to Thos. Trench Berney, Esq., of Morton Hall, which was considerably enlarged about ten years ago. He is also lord of the manor, and patron of the Church (St. Margaret,) which stands on a commanding eminence. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3. 14s. 7d., and has 2A. 3R. 24P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £180, awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. C.R. Fanshawe (now in sequestration) is the incumbent. The Rev. Robt. C. Grice, an elegant Greek and Latin scholar, was rector here from 1753 till 1790." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Jayne Cole]
Morton on the Hill is also known as Morton.
See also Morston.
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- Memorial Inscriptions of the Church and Churchyard of St Margaret, Morton-on-the-Hill.
[Dereham, Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 2010]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Sparham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Morton on the Hill to another place.
Morton on the Hill is in Eynsford Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Eynsford Hundred
- Description of Eynsford Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Morton on the Hill has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG122173 (Lat/Lon: 52.711495, 1.140174), Morton on the Hill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1861 Census
- "ST. FAITHS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes comprised in the District of St. Faiths is attributed to the migration of labourers and their families to the manufacturing districts."