This page shows which Norfolk newspapers exist, their dates if known, and whether they can be viewed in a library or online. It is always worth searching for a surname or a place, for example for sales of houses, shops and farms, bankruptcies, shipping, inquests, thefts, court cases, and trade advertisements.
National newspapers and those for other counties are also useful, especially for people who lived near the county boundaries. Personal columns often include people from outside the immediate area.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.
- Eastern Daily Press
- Eastern Evening News
- For other Norfolk newspapers please search on the Archant web site.
- Web Wombat's List of English Online Newspapers
These archives contain collections of national and international newspapers, including those for Norfolk.
- British Library Collection of Newspapers
Newspapers and periodicals from all over the world, from the 17th century to the present.
In the catalogue, search for "norfolk" to see titles, dates of publication, and the parts of the county that they covered.
- British Newspaper Archive
This is a pay-per-view or a subscription service, but might be freely available at your local library. It is in collaboration with the British Library.
- See also Genuki's United Kingdom and Ireland Newspapers
The libraries in Norwich, Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn and Thetford have local newspapers on fiche, film and paper. See
Norfolk Family History and Local Studies Libraries
This is a list of some Norfolk newspapers. Dates are included only to give an indication of when they were published.
- Euren, A.D.
- History of Norwich Mercury.
The first provincial newspaper: a brief survey of the earliest Norwich newspapers, with facsimile reprints of the Norwich Mercury 1727-1728.
[Norwich, Norwich Mercury, 1924]
- Fowler, E. and Payne, M.
- The Norwich Post: its contemporaries and successors.
[Norwich, Norfolk News Co., 1951]
- Goodwyn, Edwin Alvis
- Selections from Norwich newspapers, 1760-1790.
[ISBN 0900227087, Ipswich, East Anglian Magazine Ltd, 1972]
- Stedman, R.
- Vox populi: the Norfolk newspaper press, 1760-1900.
[ISBN 0900592583, London, Library Association Thesis, 1971]
- Simons, Janice
- Marriage and Obituary Notices, extracted from The Lynn Advertiser and West Norfolk Herald.
- Simons, Janice
- Marriages and Obituary Notices, extracted from The Lynn Advertiser, Wisbech Constitutional Gazette, and Norfolk and Cambridgeshire Herald.
See the separate list of Transcribed Extracts.