"STOCKTON, a small straggling village, 4½ miles S.S.E. of Loddon, has in its parish 129 inhabitants, and 1023A. of land, mostly the property of John Kerrich, Esqr., the lord of the manor of Stockton-with-the-Soke, which comprises most of this parish and those of Geldeston, Gillingham, Ellingham, and Kirby-Cane. It was held by the Crown in the reign of Elizabeth, but was let in fee farm. A court baron and leet was then kept on St. Margaret's day, . . . The tenants were exempt from serving on juries at assizes or sessions, and had common-right on Mickle-fen, now enclosed. The CHURCH (St. Michael,) is a small antique fabric, . . . The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, and in 1831 at £280. It is in the gift of the Duke of Norfolk, and incumbency of the Rev. John Coldham, for whom the Rev. E.J. Jones, of Geldeston, officiates. The glebe is 32A. The Town Estate, which has been held from an early period, for the benefit of the parish, at the discretion of the chief inhabitants, comprises two cottages and upwards of 48A. of land, let for £65 a year, which is applied in the repairs of the church, and the relief of the poor. . . . Carr's Marshes, an extensive tract of low swampy lands, in Stockton and Toftmonks, . . . are now well cultivated." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- Church of St Michael and All Angels
- Transcriptions of gravestones in the churchyard.
- Pronk, Simon E.
- Stockton's Stone Charters, a survey of the epitaphs in the churchyard of St Michael's Church at Stockton in the county of Norfolk.
[Stockton, Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 1976]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Carthew, George Alfred
- Stockton Churchwardens Accounts, 1625-1712.
Extracts from a town book of the parish of Stockton, in Norfolk, containing the churchwardens' (and other) accounts.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology, vol.1, 1847]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stockton to another place.
Stockton is in Clavering Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clavering Hundred
- Description of Clavering Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Stockton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM388940 (Lat/Lon: 52.491979, 1.515768), Stockton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.