Stokesby with Herringby
"STOKESBY-CUM-HERRINGBY is a parish on the north bank of the Bure, containing the village of Stokesby, 7 miles W. by N. of Yarmouth by the Ferry, and 2 miles E. of Acle. The parish is in East Flegg hundred, East and West Flegg union and petty sessional division, Yarmouth county court district and bankruptcy district, Great Ormesby polling district of North Norfolk, Flegg rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 333 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2119 acres of land. . . . G.R. Copeman, Esq., of Hemsby, is lord of the manor, but William Bagg, Esq., as lord paramount, claims a fine of £5 per annum from the Hall estate. The other principal landowners are Messrs. T.W. Daniel, J. Steward, H. Blake, and W. and F.W. Waters, and the Earl of Rosebery. The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a thatched structure, . . . The Worship family has inserted a painted window in the chancel, . . . The Register dates from 1558. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £13 6s. 8d., and now at £539, has 46A. 3R. of glebe, and is in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Beard, M.A., and incumbency of the Rev. John Alexander Dolan, M.A., who has a handsome rectory-house, built in 1849, . . . The tithes have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £536 5s. 2d. A SCHOOL BOARD was established here in 1875, and consists of Messrs. John Palmer (chairman), G.S. Gibbs, A.F. Knights, and George Bond. Mr. F. Burton, solicitor, Yarmouth, is clerk. New schools were erected in 1876, . . . Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1811. . . . HERRINGBY, the south-eastern division of the parish, now belongs to William Waters, Esq. . . . At the Dissolution this establishment was granted to Sir Thomas Clere. Some remains of the college may be seen in the Hall, the pleasant residence of William Waters, Esq., . . . The parish of Herringby was annexed to Stokesby for ecclesiastical purposes in the reign of James I.," [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1883) - Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
The name may also be found as Stokesby with Herringsby and Stokesby cum Herringby.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Flegg, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stokesby with Herringby to another place.
Stokesby with Herringby is in East Flegg Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
- Description of East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Stokesby with Herringby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG434109 (Lat/Lon: 52.641501, 1.596192), Stokesby with Herringby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.