"TESTERTON, a small parish, 3 miles S.E. by S. of Fakenham, has only 23 inhabitants, 621 acres of land, and three dwellings, one of which is TESTERTON HOUSE, a handsome modern mansion on a pleasant acclivity, commanding an extensive prospect, and formerly the seat of Phillip Mallett Case, Esq., who erected it about 1802, and was distinguished for genuine English hospitality. He died in 1834, when the estate, comprising the whole parish and a small portion of Great Ryburgh and Oxwick, devolved to Mary, the wife of Thomas Wythe, Esq., of Middleton, but it is leased to Mrs. Margaret Rutland. The family of Case flourished for nearly two centuries at Great Fransham; and one of them, the late Phillip Case, Esq., of Stradsett Hall, was more than 30 years clerk of the peace for Norfolk, and left several daughters married into the families of Browne, Hamond, and Bagge. Testerton Church (St. Remigius,) has been long in ruins, though the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, is still continued as a sinecure, in the gift of T. Wythe, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. H. Bolton, who receives a yearly modus of £20 in lieu of tithes. Mrs. Margaret Rutland, of Testerton House, occupies the parish." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Burnham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church was dedicated to St Remigius. It was in ruins before 1845.
- Church of St Remigius
- Description and pictures of the ruins.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Testerton to another place.
Testerton is in Gallow Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Gallow Hundred
- Description of Gallow Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Testerton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF936268 (Lat/Lon: 52.804059, 0.870922), Testerton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.