Tivetshall St Margaret
"TIVETSHALL ST. MARGARET, partly on an eminence, 6 miles N.N.E. of Diss, has in its parish 368 souls, and 1698 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Earl of Orford, the lord of the manor.The Church has a tower and five bells, and the living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Tivetshall St. Mary. The Society of Friends have an old meeting-house and burial-ground here. The Poor's Allotment, 6A., awarded at the enclosure in 1808, is let for £12. In the 17th century, Jeffrey Neeve left 6A. 11P. of copyhold land, in Moulton, in trust for the repairs of St. Margaret's church, except the yearly payment of 13s. 4d., to each of the two parishes of Tivetshall, for distribution among the poor. This land, with an allotment of 1R. 3P., awarded to it at the enclosure, is let for £12. " [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Tivetshall St Mary.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Redenhall, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tivetshall St Margaret to another place.
Tivetshall St Margaret is in Diss Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Diss Hundred
- Description of Diss Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Tivetshall St Margaret has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM168866 (Lat/Lon: 52.433984, 1.188066), Tivetshall St Margaret which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)