"WRETTON, a parish and scattered village, 1 mile W. of Stoke Ferry, and 6 miles E. by S. of Downham, has 533 inhabitants, and 1,102 acres of land, mostly the property of J.B.S. Bradfield and Roger Micklefield, Esqrs., the former of whom is lord of the manor of Wretton; but part of the parish is in Ravenham and Stoke-Wereham manors. The CHURCH, (All Saints,) is a thatched building, with a square tower and two bells. It is a curacy, certified at ￡10 2s. 6d., augmented with ￡400 of Queen Anne's bounty, in 1751 and '2, and consolidated with Wereham; the Rev. J. Royle being incumbent, and E.R. Pratt, Esq., the patron and impropriator. Here is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Fincham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wretton to another place.
Wretton is in Clackclose Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clackclose Hundred
- Description of Clackclose Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Wretton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL690999 (Lat/Lon: 52.57056, 0.492579), Wretton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)