"YELVERTON, on a bold acclivity, nearly 6 miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, has in its parish 82 souls, and 529 acres of land. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. The CHURCH (Virgin Mary,) is a neat fabric with a square tower, rebuilt in 1644, and containing three bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at ￡10, and in 1831 at ￡421, with that of Alpington annexed to it, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Postle, B.A. Till the new poor law came into operation, Yelverton and Alpington were united for the support of their poor, but they are now connected only in ecclesiastical affairs. The Church Land is 1A. 17P." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
The name may also be spelled as Yelveton.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
- Eleven Churches, a Guide to the Bramerton Group, Norfolk.
- See Hellington
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Yelverton to another place.
Yelverton is in Henstead Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Henstead Hundred
- Description of Henstead Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Yelverton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG291024 (Lat/Lon: 52.570716, 1.379985), Yelverton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)