1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"CHALCOMBE, (or Chacombe), a parish in the hundred of King's Sutton, in the county of Northampton, 3 miles N.E. of Banbury, its post town and railway station. It is situated near the river Cherwell, which bounds the parish on the W. There are considerable remains of a priory, which was founded by Hugh de Chacombe in the time of Henry II., and at the Dissolution the site was purchased by the Foxe family, now represented by Charles Wykeham Martin, Esq., its present owner. The inhabitants are engaged in agriculture and the manufacture of hosiery. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Peterborough, value £250, in the patronage of Charles Wykeham Martin, Esq. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is a stone edifice, partly in the decorated and partly in the perpendicular style, and contains an ancient brass. The Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have chapels, and there is a school with a small endowment. The charities amount to £4 per annum. Charles Wykeham Martin, Esq., is lord of the manor.